Clickbank university, commonly known as CBU is a training centre where you can learn to create your own digital product and market it to your targeted audience. Here you can learn how to create your own products, sell them online as well as how to market other’s products via affiliate marketing.
ClickBank University, started in early 2014, is an affiliate marketing training membership site, which is proudly owned by Adam Horwitz and Justin Atlan. The biggest inspiration to the trainers comes from the owners themselves who have created their online business and started making money from nil to almost seven figures annual salary now.
This training program helps you become a successful vendor or affiliate with some business. However, for those who only want to learn affiliate marketing, there are better, cheaper and well designated programs.
In a nutshell, this process teaches you how to create your own digital product and then market it successfully online in the CB marketplace.
What group of people is CBU geared towards?
There are two categories of people that Clickbank University are catering to. One who have a fair idea and want to create their own digital product in order to sell on clickbank and wish to find affiliates to promote their product.
Second is someone who does not want to create their own digital product, but wish to work as an affiliate, promoting other people’s products on clickbank.
We believe, clickbank university is definitely more lucrative for people who want to create their own products.
CBU is publicized as a wealth making membership site and many success stories can be read on their website, however, it’s not quite the case. CBU does not guarantee over night wealth by any means. It clearly states in its video, that it is not a “get rich overnight scheme,” and things take time to fall in place in any business. But they suggest working dedicatedly for couple of hours daily can take you a long way towards your goals.
Features of the program includes Training provided, course summary, tool kit and upsells. Let’s go one by one.
There are 2 main paths you can take with this platform. The training teaches both affiliates and product creators how to make money within the CB marketplace. There is an 8 week worth of training for affiliates and 12 week worth of training for those interested in creating their own products.
The videos are training material is quite simple and easy to follow. There is a complete training starting from how to create your product, how to put it for sale, how to build an email list, how to price, then create sales funnels and a lot more. The training is generally in the form of short videos and PDFs, as they are easy to gulp.
It becomes a win win situation when you have a nice product that converts well into sales, then you start getting plenty of affiliates, who also join you to promote your product.
Course Summary (Product Creation)
Week 1 – Introduction to the concept
Week 2 – Choosing a niche
Week 3 – Understanding your customer and orientation of what to offer
Week 4 – Creating written or video content for your course
Week 5 – Including upsells in your funnel
Week 6 – Writing sales copy
Week 7 – Creating a video sales letter
Week 8 – Ensuring your product and everything around is just right
Week 9 – Selling within CB
Week 10 – Working with affiliates
Week 11 – Testing different elements to increase conversions
Week 12 – Scaling your business
Bonus – Selling high ticket products on webinars
Course Summary (Affiliate Marketing)
Week 1 – Introductory videos
Week 2 – Concept of affiliate marketing & navigating CB
Week 3 – Choosing a niche & product to promote
Week 4 – Creating a sales funnel using capture pages
Week 5 – Writing and outsourcing content to give to your email list
Week 6 – Email marketing
Week 7 – More email marketing
Week 8 – Scaling your business
Bonus – Affiliate promotions
Tools of the trade, some are for free while others have a price tag attached. These are a series of extra products that you are advised to buy at each step. Free tools are good to use, nonetheless, the paid ones are exceptional in terms of their quality and performance.
Summary on the tools section:
- Buying a Godaddy domain name ($10-$14 per year)
- Basic Powerpoint training for creating sales video slides (free if you have Microsoft Office)
- Video creation with Camtasia ($99 one time)
- Creating pictures with Canva training (free)
- Visual Website Optimiser split testing software ($49 per month)
- Optimonk (free 14 day trial, after that it’s $29 per month)
- Hootsuite social media tool (30 days free trial, after that it’s $10 per month)
- Outsourcing with upwork
- Awebber (30 day free trial, after that it’s $19 per month)
- Basic demographic research with Google & Twitter (free)
We would not recommend to go for all the tools available, but they are still worthy, so check your requirements before you buy.
Upsells and Pricing
Upsells or upgrades come along as you join this membership site. It doesn’t give a good feeling when you have just paid for something only to find out there is more stuff to buy in order for it to really work. There are two of them:
The first upsell is Clickbank’s own website builder, costing $297 a year
This makes it so easy for a vendor to create a website that integrates well with clickbank. It requires a lot of effort to create a website and a sales page, and then setting up sales funnel, but with this website builder upsell, everything comes at an ease.
For newcomers, who decide to create their own product, this step is tricky as the instructions are not clear enough sometimes. They give you a general concept and knowledge but do not guide you at each step. It is a good idea to learn how to build a website and generate traffic to your site, before you start your own product creation. With prior knowledge, you understand what prospective customers want and know how to use affiliate marketing, that way you can start from a stronger position.
Second upsell is advanced master class. This is an advanced training course that teaches email marketing, list creation, and list management. They also show you methods to create a popup exit box. We all get so annoyed with pop-ups as they keep coming when we try to exit a page. This one cost you another $97, but thank God, it’s only a one-time fee.
So your investments are like
- The basic membership price is $47 a month
- The Premier membership for a year will cost you $797(Then you are eligible to use all the training modules and work at your own pace)
- Easy to understand video training, along with PDFs
- Great for people who wish to create their own product and market it
- There are many benefits of doing business with CB as a vendor or affiliate.
- Convenient live and recorded webinars
- Additional web building software option, but at an extra cost
- Weekly live Question and Answer sessions for more clarity
- Engagement with successful vendors and affiliate marketers universally
- 60 days money back guarantee, in case you change your mind
- Immediate upsell of the web builder, which is not clarified when you are going for basic membership
- Additional advanced class upsell
- Not good enough SEO training, making vendors go via social media, you tube or affiliates to bring traffic to promote their products
- You’re only taught how to sell clickbank products as an affiliate, not any outside product. There are a wide range of products outside clickbank, but you are not allowed to promote them
- Many training modules are locked. You can only open the module when you update
- There is scope of improvement in the training by adding more options and tutorials
Wealthy Affiliate is another highly rated product for affiliate training. Clickbank and WA are two different platforms working on two philosophies. Both teach you different ways to make money online. Clickbank focus on teaching how to build your own product, not on how to market that product. Wealthy Affiliate is designed to teach you the fundamental skills necessary to become a successful internet marketer.
It is a well crafted and worthy university program with decent training, lot of quality information and some very actionable insights. This program is best suited for people wishing to create and market their own product on the Clickbank platform. You can get the best out of it, if you already have good knowledge of any product or you are an intermediate marketer, rather than a complete beginner. For those who have a basic understanding of SEO, and can create quality content, it can lead to unbelievable success.
If you’re ready to create your own product, definitely go for Clickbank University. But if you’re not yet ready, and would like to learn how to create an online business via affiliate marketing, then go for Wealthy Affiliate.
I hope I’ve managed to guide your way!
Richard is a creative designer & blogger. He writes for Crayonify about Graphics, Creativity and UX Design. Richard loves to unlock his creativity with writing.