After spending more than 50 hours in research and comparing wireless routers, our pick for best performance and excellent features at reasonable price is the TP-LINK Archer C7.
There is an overwhelming variety of routers available in the market today. If you are a looking for a decent wireless router, check for essential features like security encryption, ethernet ports, and wireless access point along with basic specifications that define them –
Network Standard – Ensure that is supports 802.11ac, the next generation of WiFi for improved speed, performance and range and to be connected to extra devices.
Dual band –Best routers support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals, as it helps in reducing network congestion. These routers also enable users to make multiple SSiDs, barring the devices that do not support 802.11ac do not interfere on the 5GHz network.
Minimum Speed – A great router should support at least two data speeds on each network band, with 300+ Mbps on a 2.4 GHz network, and 1300 or more on the 5 GHz network.
USB Ports – A router with a USB port is a great addition as they allow you to share hard drive, data card or printer wirelessly with networked devices or remotely via FTP server.
Top 10 wireless routers under $100
Let’s dive straight into the top wireless routers, to help you find the best product at an affordable price.
1. TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Its amazing how the Archer C7 delivers great performance at such an affordable price. It is being claimed to be the “next generation” router, with amazing speed and six powerful antennas (3 internal and 3 external) to ensure maximum coverage.
- With 1.75Gbps of total available bandwidth, it includes 450Mbps at 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps at 5GHz.
- Supports 802.11ac
- Dual USB Port for file/ printer sharing
- Guest Network Access offers privacy and security
- Single core processor
- Up and downlink bandwidth limiting
- Simple one-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button
- Easy Setup Assistant with multi-language support provides fast and effortless installation process
Price – $90
2. Securifi Almond 2015 Long Range Touchscreen Wireless Router
Securifi Almond is a unique touchscreen router with amazing range at a pocket friendly price, that can also double up as a range extender or access point or wireless bridge.
Though it has average features and overall performance, the innovative touch-screen makes it quite attractive.
Speed and Bandwidth
- 2.4 GHz single bandwidth with speed upto 300Mbps.
- Supports 802.11 b/g/n
- 2 Ethernet LAN + 1 Ethernet WAN Ports
- Inbuilt range extender that extends wirelessly and is compatible with most routers like Apple, Verizon, Cisco and more.
- Convenient and unique touchscreen that allows setup without the need of a computer in less than 10 minutes.
- Software features like guest network and port forwarding
Price – $70
3. Apple AirPort Express Base Station
The sleek, portable and beautiful Apple gadget offers reasonable dual-band wireless performance, makes streaming iTunes easier along with an Ethernet port. However, it does not support 802.11ac, has only one Ethernet port and USB lacks support for external storage devices.
Speed and Bandwidth
- It has 100Mbps Ethernet WAN port with dual-bands 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz support.
- Easy and user friendly setup using iPhone, iPad, iPod or Mac.
- Streams music from your iTunes throughout your home network
- Allows printing wirelessly with USB port for compatible printers. This is a unique feature among affordable wireless routers.
- Compatible with devices using 802.11a/b/g/n specifications to avoid most compatibility issues.
- Built-in firewall and limited parental control features.
Price – $99
4. Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite ERLite-3 512MB 3 Ethernet Ports Router
The EdgeRouter Lite is meant for tech savvy users who are looking to utilize advanced networking capabilities through this highly configurable router with security, super fast speed and reliability.
- Wire-speed gigabit routing
- Highly configurable router can be setup using either GUI or the command prompt for more advanced level settings.
- GUI is clean and easy but meant only for basic features
- Powerful routing performance with world’s first 1 Mpps
- Dual Core 500 MHz Processor
- 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- 512MB DDR2 RAM Memory
- 2GB On-Board Flash Storage
- 1 x RJ-45 Serial Port
Price – $96
5. TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router
This is a superior performance modem router that provides reliability, high-speed internet connection without breaking the bank. It in a 3-in-one solution for high-speed ADSL2+ standard modem, a 4-Port 10/100Mbps NAT router as well as a wireless N access point.
- Transmission speed of 300 Mbps and max transfer rate of 24 Mbps with stability and coverage.
- It supports IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Utilizes SPI and NAT firewall protection along with security encryption methods, such as WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK and WPA/WPA2
- Easy to setup with intuitive GUI
- Live parental control
- Built-in IP based Quality of Service (QoS) bandwidth control ensures that latency-sensitive applications receive the bandwidth required to run seamlessly.
- Supports upto 10 IPSec Virtual Private Network (VPN) tunnels simultaneously for secure remote connection
- Automatically updates the device’s firmware as it receives updates.
Price – $54.30
6. NETGEAR WNR3500L N300 Open-Source Gigabit WiFi Router (WNR3500Lv2)
This is basic router with repeater functionality that also allows the router to be used as a repeater or a second router to extend range at a reasonable price. However, its average performance and dated interface (especially with security concerns) make it slightly less impressive.
- 300 Mbps data transfer rate
- Attractive design with easy setup
- Supports IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Live parental control to keep your block inappropriate content and make your experience safe.
- Five Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing with USB port for wireless printing or wireless storage access.
- Wireless network repeating to extend the network range
Price – $45.95
7. TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router
If you are looking for performance optimized simultaneous dual-band routers and gigabit ports with good value for your money, this is the wireless router for you.
- Simultaneous 2.4GHz 300Mbps and 5GHz 300Mbps connections for 600Mbps of total available bandwidth
- Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Easy and quick setup
- IP based bandwidth control
- 2 USB ports to allow sharing printers, flash storage and media player.
- 5 Gigabit ports and 800Mbps+ hardware NAT for improved online performance.
- 2 external antennas ensure maximum range
- Live parental control to establish restricted access mode.
Price – $84.99
8. Linksys E2500 Advanced Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router
Linksys E2500 is a good router with improved signal strength and performance in comparison to E2000, for a great price. It is a compact and stylish looking router that is easy to use with Cisco connect software and great web interface. However, its range is short and suited for small homes and apartments as well as provides limited features.
- High transfer rate of 300 + 300 Mbps dual band wireless router provides speed with reliability.
- Easy and fast setup and management
- Simultaneous dual bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) ensure offer double network bandwidth and avoid interference.
- 4 Ethernet ports to directly connect wired devices.
- Advanced security with separate visitor’s password-protected Internet access for improves security, WPA/WPA2 encryption and SPI firewall
- Parental control to limit access
9. NETGEAR N750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300)
This NETGEAR router if perfect for advanced users who like to play with their network settings are looking for fast throughput with impressive feature list. It offers high performance wireless speed with the simultaneous dual bands.
- Faster wireless speed of 300 Mbps on 2.4GHz band + 450 Mbps on the 5GHz band- up to 750Mbps
- Easy setup
- Multi-OS support
- Improved range for medium to large homes
- USB port for NAS functionality support
- Advanced QoS ensures smooth HD streaming and gaming
- Apple Time Machine Compatible
- ReadyShare USB Storage Access
- Separate and secure guest network access
- Parental control allows web filtering for kids and employees.
- Secure wireless connection with WPA/WPA2
Price – $78.99
10. Linksys N900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router
The Linksys N900 is a dual band wireless router that offers good throughput, features and performance for the price. It provides powerful and fast home network, however is a little expensive when compared to other similar feature routers.
- Up to 450mbps + 450mbps speed on simultaneous dual-bands 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- Excellent Cisco Connect setup software for easy and flawless setup
- Smart Wi-Fi Apps, tools and mobility to manage your wi-fi from any mobile device.
- USB port with 4 Gigabit ports
- Storage Link transforms any USB storage device into a NAS
- Prioritize your devices that need more speed.
- Set parental control and separate guest network
Price – $62.99